11/22/2004

Texan, French, Mexican and Korean Fusion Weekend

Our Weekend Glimpse of Other Cultures

The Dallas Beaujolais Nouveau Festival this weekend turned into a tale of much mirth and woe. Dianne and I dressed up nice and hit the shindig early enough to taste all of the wines and most of the food. Both were excellent. There were two caricature artists on hand, which was great because Dianne and I always like to get caricatures done when traveling. After failing in our attempt to win the raffle for a trip to France, we stumbled back to the hotel for an evening swim and some much needed sleep.

Upon the recommendation of my mother, we spent the next day visiting the Harry Hines Boulevard section of Dallas. Around Harry Hines blvd and Royal Lane, you will find strip mall after strip mall containing a strange fusion of Mexican and Korean operated stores selling jewelry, clothes, toys and furniture at bargain prices. If we ever return, I would really enjoy having some kind of guide to direct us to the best parts of this exotic part of Dallas.

I think we had the most fun at this Korean Barbecue restaurant. It was so authentic, I felt like I had brought my wife back to the late 80's, to visit the village near my Army base in South Korea. Gas-fired hibachi grills are built into each table for diners who wish to prepare their own chosen cuts of meat. However, I let them cook it themselves.

We had Beef and Pork Bul-go-gi (aka: bulgoki). Bulgoki was the only Korean food I came to relish in the 80’s. It is thinly sliced steak marinated in a garlic and red pepper or sesame mixture. Our entrees came with numerous other side items that I could neither name nor recognize, but we both enjoyed snapping away at them with our chopsticks.

The trip went downhill fast after lunch. We did a couple hours more shopping, only to return to the parking lot to find a crowd surrounding our car. As a bit of background I have to tell you that we were in my wife's 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS, her pride and joy. Fearing that our car was being towed, we ran to the scene only to be met by a...fireman!

Actually, she was a firewoman, wrapping up an accident where a young man ran his late model Silverado pickup over the curve striking two innocently parked cars. My wife's Eclipse and a 2003 Mustang sustained most of the damage. Blessedly, no one was hurt, everyone had insurance and Dianne didn't choke anyone. We were able to limp the damaged Eclipse back to Oklahoma, were the wine is cheaper and the parking more abundant. Sadly, our washer and dryer quit on us shortly after returning home.

We had some fun, but I am beginning to think that the turkeys will be the lucky ones this year. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: