1/07/2005

Danger or Opportunity from Freezing Wine?

Mike, from Oklahoma wine blog OkieDoke, asked in a comment about the freezing point of wine and the associated risks of transporting it in the winter months. Personally, I do most of my large wine purchases in the winter, to avoid the much riskier Oklahoma heat.

The freezing point of wine mostly depends on its percent of alcohol. But it is typically around 15 degrees Fahrenheit and even lower for fortified wines. Even at that temp, it would take quite a while for the wine to freeze. Chances are good that freezing and thawing won't damage the wine itself, although it might cause the cork to lose it's seal.

Some people even put their half-finished bottles in the refrigerator freezer to preserve them. One article I read even claims this improves the wine! I know I can't wait to do my own testing on that claim! If anyone out there has tried this, drop my a comment. Here's a link to that article:
Freezing Wine To Preserve and Improve Flavor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY FROZEN WINE ,BUT NOT LEFT IN THE BOTTLE, I PUT IT IN INDIVIDUAL STORAGE BAGS ENOUGH FOR A GLASS AS I AM THE ONLY ONE TO DRINK IT HUBBY LIKES {BEER} IT DOES NOT HARM OR CHANGE IT IN ANY WAY AND SAVES ME THROWING OUT HALF FINISHED BOTTLES , I HAVE ONLY TRIED IT WITH RED WINE .